Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Before and After

So, anyone who knows James knows that his nickname is "The Beast" and that he wears it proudly. Part of the origin of the nickname can be attributed to his beastly head of hair. In high school, he says, he cut it once a year for rugby season, and he has been trying to relive his high school days for a while now. Well, it's been exactly (ok, give or take a few days) a year since his last hair cut, and he decided it was time. A few of his reasons:
1.) His long hair got in his eyes while he was running. Sweat and hair in the eyes = no good.
2.) He wants to give a more professional impression.
3.) When his grandpa saw him on Sunday, he said to him, "James, I'm going to tell you what I told my son many years ago: You look awful."

So, it was decided. Time for a hair cut. James's wonderful cousin Stephanie was kind enough to come over to our house and teach me how to do a basic hair cut so that hopefully I can keep James's beastly mane in check during the year, since the man hates to go to the barber. Anyway, here are some pictures of the event:

James's hair was longer than mine for almost a week!




Pretty long, eh? I actually liked it, but he was ready to be done with it. So, here's the chopping:

 Stephanie hacking off the longer parts so we could get to it with the clippers.

 And here's me, doing my best to remember what Stephanie taught me.
 Nervous face.

All the crazy hair clippings.

And here's the after. Not the best pictures, but you get the idea.
 Smirk.

 Creepy face.

Almost a real smile.

10 comments:

The Miller Five said...

Very nice! Great job Charity! I'd love to learn to cute my boys' hair. They go once a month for haircuts, so the savings would be wonderful. Cute haircut for you too by the way!

Evan and Holly said...

I'm working on learning how to cut hair with Kyle. Because like James, Evan just doesn't feel the need to cut his often, plus it curls, so big difference there. Anyway, I would love to have a subject that sat still. That seems glorious to me. Plus, you did a good job, unlike my cut on Kyle's hair yesterday. Come see the blog soon and you'll see the damage :)

Mary said...

My hubbie goes thru the same thing with growing his hair out. Luckily, he's kept it short for about 3-4 months now.

Shirley said...

Looks great! Have fun keeping it cut! I cut Jared's and it is so hard to get him to do it. I almost wish we could afford a barber. :) Now I just cut his when I cut Ryan's. But I don't suggest that for you because Isaac's hair is so cute! :)

Austin said...

james is a handsome stud no matter his hair length, I'm sure you agree. If I had hair, I'd grow it long too. :)

I just realized I wasn't following your blog anymore, I thought you just hadn't updated in a long time! Silly Austin.

George and Ruth said...

James, whenever I see a picture of you with your long hair, I remember that Fantastic tackle you made in your Rugby match againt ISB....you gave a mightly roar, chase that guy down (with your long locks wavying :-)).....you caught the guy, and brought him down like a lion bringing down a water buffalo (I remember the kid resembling a Water Buffalo actually...). "The Beast" was in charge on that day!....Love Dad

George and Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
George and Ruth said...

James, whenever I see a picture of you with your long hair, I remember that Fantastic tackle you made in your Rugby match againt ISB....you gave a mightly roar, chase that guy down (with your long locks wavying :-)).....you caught the guy, and brought him down like a lion bringing down a water buffalo (I remember the kid resembling a Water Buffalo actually...). "The Beast" was in charge on that day!....Love Dad

Wendy McMillan said...

Aw he doesn't look like Jack Black anymore!

Elizabeth said...

James, I can't believe how awesome your hair looked long...I had no idea I should be totally envious of you. Great color, it falls perfectly, a lot of body. Man...what I wouldn't give. I was so close to winning the genetic lottery and somehow I missed it. I officially dub you, "best hair of the family." Even though it is gone now, we will always know deep down inside that you totally win.

Charity, I love your new hair cut as well. You look awesome and stylish.