Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Valentine's Day 2012

A very pregnant me did not want to wrestle with crowds or deal with, well, anything on Valentines Day, so I told James not to worry about the holiday and we'd stay in.

Since we were staying in, we offered to watch cousin Laura's sweet little girl, Eloise. It has been really nice having Eloise hang out at our house here and there for the last few months - it has prepared Isaac for baby sister better than I ever could have hoped. He's seen her nursing, so he's prepared for that, and he's learning to play nicely with his toys (he's not spectacular, but he's getting better.) Anyway, we had a lot of fun with Eloise that night. :)

But this wasn't all we did on the "day of love." Luckily, I have the coolest Dad in the universe, and he just so happens to be visiting us right now. So instead of making frozen pizza and doing nothing, I smiled sweetly and batted my little girly lashes at my dad and he totally fell for it and made us an amazing Italian dinner that night. My dad makes an incredibly delicious pasta dish called Spaghetti a la Carbonara, which he very kindly agreed to make for us, and then he went way over the top and made us artisan Italian bread to go along with it.


The entire process takes 16 hours, start to finish, with little steps and lots of resting along the way. The result was delicious - nice and crusty on the outside and just fluffy soft on the inside - it made "Valentines Day In" better than any restaurant we could have visited. I'm so lucky to be my Daddy's girl. :)



And as for the romantic stuff - well, I bought some flowers at Costco and James went and bought us a bunch of Valentine chocolate on sale the next day. It's sort of a Valentine's tradition. I know, we are so not lovey-dovey. Maybe next year. ;)

1 comment:

Tracie said...

That bread looks so good. And Italian dinner? Yummo. I'm so glad I got to meet your dad. He's a nice guy.