Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Children Really Are Listening...

So, I have learned today that you have to be careful what you say around kids, even - or especially! - when you don't think they're listening. Today in nursery, we had had snack and the official singing time and we were seeing how long we could keep the kids entertained before letting them go back and drag out all the toys again. Two of the children entertained themselves by jumping all over James, while the other sister and I entertained the other two by singing a few more songs.

We had just sung "If You Chance to Meet a Frown" and then there was a lull - so I just started singing a random song to the same tune - I really didn't think that Maija or Bryce (the kids that were jumping all over James) were listening at all. So I started singing "James is not a jungle gym, but he's pretty fun, so let's crawl all over him..." then I couldn't really think of anything to end with and lamely finished with "and kick him in the head." I chuckled at my own lack of creativity, then turned just in time to see sweet little Maija following the song's suggestion. Boy did she give it to him - one swift kick to the side of James's head with her sweet little white sandals. And she turned to me with the biggest grin on her face like "See! I did it!" Oh boy, I felt bad for that one.

So, watch what you say - and what you sing - around the little ones. They really are listening.

(James later suggested that perhaps a better - and rhyming - ending would have been "and kick him in the bum." That at least would have had a less painful outcome for dear James.)

4 comments:

Brittny said...

Haha! I just had to let you know that I really enjoyed this post :) Thanks for sharing!

Tracie said...

Lol. That would've been funny to see.

Monsivais Family said...

I am just here to say I am looking for a update!! :)

Evan and Holly said...

What happened to you? You have fallen very low on my list of blogs because you haven't posted in almost a month! I want to know how the final days pregnancy are...unless you had the little one. I can't remember the exact due date...update, please.