Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Happy James Patrick Day!

We celebrated James's 28th birthday on March 17th. For those who don't know, James's middle name is Patrick precisely because he was born on St. Patrick's day.


 James likes to keep things low-key, but we made the day a festive little family day. James actually decided to go in to work in the morning, even tho it was a Saturday, because he needed to make up some time and because he is a giant nerd. After he left for work, I put streamers all over the house and wrapped some silly little gifts I had gotten him. (James's "big" present was Mario Party 9, but not really since we were going to get it anyway. It just happened to come out in March.) Poor Isaac was so excited about the presents - he wanted to unwrap them as soon as they were wrapped! I made him wait until James got home - he was not happy. But James let him unwrap some of them, so he was happy again.





So what were the presents, you ask? A few of James's favorite snacks: saltine crackers, peanut butter m&ms, double-dipped peanuts, and a Symphony bar. :) Yes, I went birthday shopping at the grocery store. I also got him a solitaire chess set, which has apparently been entertaining and causing contention at work. :P

James really wanted to take Isaac on the race cars at Trafalga as part of the celebration. The weather was iffy - cloudy, a little windy, and a high chance of rain. But it wasn't  raining yet, so we decided to chance it. We drove all the way up to Lehi only to  find that everyone else in Utah county had the same idea. I have never seen Trafalga so crowded. We stood in the looong line to get in for about five minutes with a very upset Isaac (he had fallen asleep in the car and woke up very grouchy.) before deciding this wasn't going to be worth it. We got back in the car and drove to McDonalds instead. Isaac had a blast playing in the play place, and James and I did what we love  to do - talk to each other and eat mcnuggets :)

When we got home, we were too stuffed to eat the birthday dinner I had planned, so we just played Mario Party and hung out. We also had a surprise visit from our friends Crystal and Marty and their daughter Christina. It was a fun day. James had stayed up all night the night before programming, so he was pretty tired by the end of the day. Of course, when you ask him how his birthday was, he doesn't mention the decorations, the presents, or the food, he says "It was great! I spent all night programming!" You can tell what really gets his heart beating. :)

I had made James a peanut butter pie from the recipe book he got me for Christmas. We ate it the next day, with Allison and Michael and a really fun couple from our ward who always let Isaac sit with them in sacrament meeting. :) We wanted to get to know them better, so we invited them over. I got pictures of the pie, but not the friends. Whoops.







On this occasion, I would like to take a moment to say how glad I am that James was born :) He has made my life so simple and sweet. He has given me two beautiful children. He is an amazing father, and I love just to stand back and watch him interacting with our kids. He makes me laugh every day. He encourages my dreams and aspirations. Nothing is a big deal to James; he takes things in stride and makes it easy and fun to be around him. I'm so grateful for all the twists and turns that brought our paths together. Happy Birthday, James. I love you!

No comments: